I am a professional with 17 years of progressive experience in communications, media, public relations, and marketing in the Twin Cities and globally. My background spans corporate, nonprofit, education, and media sectors, drawing experience from all for a well-rounded perspective. I have a broad and deep knowledge of the local business environment that supports my ability to draw from multiple sources for numerous purposes as an editor and producer. I am self-directed and ethical. I am collaborative in management style and continuously improving relations between source and audience; interpersonally, electronically, and institutionally.
Lavender Magazine, Edina, MN
June 2011 – Present
Direct all editorial functions, contribute to art direction and production, plan editorial calendars, conceive stories within and supplemental to editorial calendars, and arrange editorial writing and photography assignments for bi-weekly glossy magazine with circulation of 33,400.
- Coordinate all day-to-day editorial aspects of Lavender Media, including top editing all copy, managing the budget, and trafficking between departments to meet daily, weekly and bi-weekly deadlines.
- Exercise flexibility in varying page counts and budgets dependent upon fluctuating sales figures per bi-weekly issue, expand online content with procurement of free content.
- Develop digital strategy for low-cost marketing on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo, resulting in 41% increase of followers on Facebook January 2016-present.
- Maintain WordPress website, www.LavenderMagazine.com, with 44,000 bi-weekly visitors, created after evaluating and designing the structure including a multimedia build-out (video, photo galleries, and additional coverage) with web designer.
- Monitor comments and activity on all media platforms for controversy and defamatory activity leading to increase in transparency and credibility, with decrease in negative interactions.
- Work with sales and marketing department to create new products, special sections, video series and sponsored content.
- Produce weekly e-newsletter and mailing lists for increased website traffic and visibility.
- Voice, record, and produce Big Gay News podcast for global audience.
- Concept, direct, perform, and record videos to expand online presence as vehicles for both branding and new advertising opportunities.
- Act as liaison to the larger community and culture at conferences and events in the Twin Cities and nationally.
Independent Marketing & Communications Consultant
Self-Employed, Saint Paul, MN
August 2009 – June 2011
After being employed in the luxury home industry when the recession hit, I became a marketing and communications consultant. My specialties included business startup packages with strategizing, developing, and designing marketing plans, online presences, social networking, collateral materials, ad campaigns, and special events. Clients included corporations, nonprofit organizations, and self-employed professionals. Experience and education during this era prepared me to take the reigns of Lavender Media’s various platforms, particularly online.
Director of Communications & Marketing
SKD Architects and MS&I Building Company, Plymouth, MN
February 2005 – August 2009
SKD Architects and MS&I Building Company were high-end residential and commercial architects and builders. My responsibilities as the Director of Communications & Marketing were to increase the visibility of both the 30-year old architectural firm as well as the relatively young building company as the sole person handling artistic direction, copywriting, and graphic design, internet marketing, media relations, and special events (including partnerships with the Luxury Home Tour and Parade of Homes).
Director of Admissions & Marketing
The International School of Minnesota, Eden Prairie, MN
2003 – 2004
The International School of Minnesota (ISM) is a private, for-profit, college-preparatory school for PS-Grade 12 students and is owned by the SABIS® Educational System of the United Arab Emirates. Initially hired to be the Marketing Coordinator, my duties quickly expanded to oversee all Admissions, Financial Aid, and I-20s (student visa applications) for the school, in addition to the marketing initiatives. Responsible for marketing, communications, public/media/parent relations, special events, and branding.
Director of Development
Minnesota Friends of the Orphans, Roseville, MN
2001 – 2003
Minnesota Friends of the Orphans (now Friends of the Orphans) provides direct support to Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos, homes for orphaned and abandoned children in Latin America and the Caribbean. As the Director of Development, I was responsible for the planning, supervision, completion, and evaluation of the entire Annual Fundraising programs of MFO through communications, marketing, special events, and branding.
Point2Point Communication Solutions
1999 – 2001
Point2Point Communications Solutions, Inc., was the corporate subsidiary of Twin Cities
Public Television (TPT) and offered business-to-business event, video and television production as well as webcasting services. As the Communications Coordinator, my position was a combination of Public Relations/Communications coordination, marketing assistance and office management.
Macalester College, 1995 – 1999
BA, Majored in both Communications Studies and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Proficient in Adobe (Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Garage Band, MS Office, Google Drive, WordPress, MailChimp, Vimeo, Vevo, YouTube, Garage Band, iTunes, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr.
Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association (MMPA) Excellence Awards:
2015 Gold: Single-Topic Issue, 2015 Spring Wedding Issue “From Minnesota With Love”; Bronze: Editor’s Letter, “Grow Old Along With Me” by Andy Lien; Bronze: Overall Excellence, Lavender Magazine
2014 Gold: Editor’s Letter, “Born This Way” by Andy Lien; Bronze: Editor’s Letter, “Love: In Sickness & In Health” by Andy Lien; Gold: How-To Article, “Halloween How To” by Brett Dorrian, Morgan Ross and Andy Lien; Silver: Single-Topic Issue, The Wedding Issue
2013 Gold: Editor’s Letter, “Of Empathy and Our Future” by Andy Lien; Silver: Profile Article, “2012 Organization of the Year: Minnesotans United for All Families” by Andy Lien
2012 Bronze: Overall Excellence, Lavender Magazine; Silver: Single-Topic Issue, The Wedding Issue; Silver: Website, LavenderMagazine.com